The intention in Australia is for matters relating to child support to be dealt with by parents directly with the Child Support Agency, without assistance from a lawyer. In many cases, the Child Support Agency and the legislation that established it achieves this intention. However, the system is not perfect and, even within the relevant legislation, there are mechanisms that recognise that some cases are different and need special attention.
We regularly advise and, in some cases, act for clients in relation to:
• Departures from the Child Support Formula
• Orders for the payment of child support by lump sum
• Recovery of child support abroad
• Consequences of loss of employment or serious reduction in income
• Collection and recovery of child support from delinquent payers
We also commonly include and document agreements in relation to child support as part of overall financial settlements of property and spouse maintenance.